Wednesday 22 May 2013

Exam

 
To prepare for my exam I researched an artist named David Hockney. I looked at his fractured work because that fit in with what style I wanted my final exam to be. After looking at Hockney's work I decided to fracture some of my own photographs of faces, in a similar style to David Hockney's. I feel this worked well so I decided to fracture up a few more of my images.


After fracturing a few other images I chose one to do a carbon paper/Biro drawing as you can see at the bottom centre. I like the way I have fractured the two images on the prep sheet as although it is broken up ito different parts, you can still tell it is a face. I feel that this makes the image more interesting. I also used ICT to edit my photographs and worked on one images (bottom right) with oil pastels.
 
 
Here, I chose my favourite fractured up images and did an etching of it. Also,I did an etching of one of my own original photogrpahs as you can see below, however here I chose to cut the etching plate up and mix up the different parts so it got the fractured up affect. I chose to do each part in a different colour to make it look more interesting to look at.
 
 
On the left are the etchings I did of one of my orginal own photographs and on the right is a copy of art history. I researched cubist faces as after looking at David Hockney's work I decided that I wanted my final piece to be a cubist portrait. Researching cubist faces helped me do work to prepare for my exam. This copy of art history is done using chalk. I chose to add in a bit of pink and brown rather than just black, white and grey to make it look a little less basic.


 
Here, are some of the images I found when I researched cubist faces. I did 3 compies of them which were, an oil painting, a biro drawing and an oil pastel copy. The oil painting on the left is one of my favourite piece. This is because I decided on my own colours because i felt that the orginal colours were to basic and boring. So I felt that using brighter colours would make the image a lot more interesting to look at and would definately catch a person's eye as it is so colourful. I chose to use this image as I like the way it is broken up into both small and larger parts, for example, the face is broken up into much smaller parts where as the shoulders and and chest are broken up into larger parts. However, you can still tell it is a portrait as you can see the different parts of the face leading to  the shoulders and the tie. I also like the copy I did in oil pastel however, this is broken up into very small parts which made it difficult to colour in, because of this I chose not to fracture up my main piece into small parts.
 
 

This another copy of art history, I like this piece as the colours are bright and it is colourful and it was an image that caught my eye which is why I chose to do my own copy. I like the way it is broken up in different parts and also that you can onLy see a pair of eyes, the rest of the image is broken up with different lines in sections with no detail added into them.


This was a piece of work done in oil paint, which went in the show, I felt this went well and therefore I decided I wanted to focus on artwork similar to this, in the cubist style. I feel that this was a good piece of work as I chose to make and use my own colours to make it a bit more colourful and interesting to look at.
 
 
This is my final exam, I chose to use one of my own fractured images and painted it in oil paint. I feel this worked well as you can still tell it is a face even though it is fractured up and a bit out of proportion which, I think, makes it more interesting. I chose to paint the background in blue as it is quite a dark colour, although, I added some blue into the actual face around the eyes, this is so that the face doesn't look like it is cut out and stuck on. All my work i had done before this such as my copied of art history and my own fracuted images definatley hepled my with this exam as they abled me to decide on the style of my exam and the way I would fracture the image up. I fractured this image up this way because I wanted people to look at it and still realise it is a face. However, I wanted it to be a bit more interesting than a basic portrait so I chose to focus this exam on cubism.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment